For after-hour emergencies, such as a sudden change in pressure or a broken waterline, call 503-665-4179 and follow the instructions for service.

We are pleased to announce you can now receive your bill via email. Click here for more details.

Rockwood Water is seeking residents of the District to serve on its Budget Committee. Click here to download an application or you can pick one up at the District office. Applications must be received by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 18, 2015.

The District’s annual Water Main Flushing Program runs from February through June to remove sediment from water mains throughout the District. Click here for more information and maps of the current areas we are flushing.


Winter weather can wreak havoc on a water system in general (e.g., main breaks) and on our house’s plumbing in particular (e.g., frozen pipes). Below are some things you can do before the freezing weather hits, and some things to do when it does hit…as well as what to do if pipes do freeze.

BEFORE freezing weather:

  • Disconnect and drain hoses from outside faucets.
  • Wrap outside faucets with insulation, newspapers or cardboard. Fiberglass or molded foam insulating covers are available at hardware and home supply stores.
  • Turn off and drain irrigation systems and backflow assemblies. Wrap backflow assemblies with insulating material.
  • Cover foundation vents with foam blocks, thickly folded newspapers or cardboard.
  • Insulate pipes in unheated areas, such as the garage, crawl space or attic.
  • Show household members how to turn off water to the house in case of an emergency.

DURING freezing weather:

  • Open cupboard doors under sinks (especially where plumbing is in exterior walls) to let the house’s heat warm the pipes.
  • Temporarily let cold water drip steadily at an inside faucet farthest from the water meter. This will keep water moving in the pipes making it less likely to freeze.
  • If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, shutting off the water can reduce the chance of a broken pipe. Leave the house’s heat set on at least 55 degrees. Shut off water to the house and open all faucets to drain pipes; flush the toilets once to drain the tank but not the bowl.
  • Call us at 503-665-4179 to request a shut-off at the meter. There is no fee for this service.

IF your pipes freeze:

  • NEVER thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame. You may start a fire and you may cause your pipe to burst. Use hot air from a hair dryer, the exhaust from a vacuum cleaner, or a closely monitored heat lamp or electric heater.
  • If your lines are frozen, assume they may be broken or split. Be ready to shut off your water in a hurry when the line thaws.
  • If your pipe breaks, shut off the water at the shut-off valve and turn off the circuit breaker or gas to the water heater.
  • If you have no water at all to your house, the problem may be at the street. If the water service is frozen at the meter or the service line to the water main, it is the District’s responsibility to fix it. Call 503-665-4179 / 24 hours a day to report the problem. We will respond as quickly as possible.


Cleveland Site Before ConstructionThe Cleveland reservoir and pump station site is located on NE Cleveland Avenue, a few blocks south of SE Stark Street. It consists of a 3 million gallon (MG) above-grade steel reservoir and a pump station in the base of a removed 0.5 MG spheroid reservoir.

The spheroid reservoir was removed in 2003. The reservoir is over 50 years old and is in need of refurbishment and painting, as well as seismic upgrading. Cleveland Site During Construction

The pump station is approaching the 50 year mark and needs to be replaced to accommodate the updated features that will provide water to the customers in the Cleveland Pressure Zone.

This will be accomplished by replacing the pump station with a concrete block building, reconfiguring the site piping, updating the electronics and communications, and landscaping the site. Work began in August 2014 and is expected to be completed in July 2015.

Current Construction Activities
The contractor is installing the onsite waterlines and will make two connections in the street on February 26 & 27. Flaggers will direct traffic on Cleveland between NE 28th Street and SE Stark Street. The hours traffic may be affected are between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Onsite waterline construction will continue through the first week of March.

Rockwood Water is one of 21 members of the Consortium, which serves as a collaborative and coordinating organization to improve the planning and management of municipal water supplies in the greater Portland, Oregon metropolitan region. Formed in 1997, the Consortium serves Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties in three areas of focus: conservation, emergency preparedness and regional coordination. By working collaboratively, the Consortium and its members achieve economies of scale implementing regional programs that save customers money. Please visit the Consortium’s website at www.regionalh2o.org for more information.

We are pleased to present our annual Water Quality Report for 2013, which documents our water supply continues to meet state and federal regulations. Both English and Spanish versions can be downloaded at the links below. If you would like a hard copy of either version, please contact the District office, and we will be happy to mail you one. If you have any questions, please contact us at 503-665-4179.

Rockwood Water locates all District-owned water lines. District-owned water lines include distribution mains typically found in the street and water services up to the water meter. If you are a contractor doing work in the right-of-way, you must first call in a locate request to Oregon Utility Notification Center at 1-800-332-2344 or at www.digsafelyoregon.com. Rockwood Water does not locate water lines on private property. If you are interested in knowing the location of a water line on your private property, it is necessary to contact a private locating company.

To start or stop an existing water service, call the District office at (503) 665-4179 or apply in person during business hours. Click on Customer Service for more information.

Rockwood Water does not provide sewer services. To start sewer services, please contact your sewer provider:

  • City of Fairview: 503-665-7929
  • City of Gresham: 503-618-2373
  • City of Portland: 503-823-7770

To request the installation of new water service to a property, you may download and complete the District’s New Service Manual by clicking on the link below (Word fillable forms or PDF printable). The Manual contains information and forms required by the District to determine water availability at your site, meter size, backflow prevention requirements, and any other pertinent information. When you purchase your water meter, we will need a copy of the building permit with an address. All applicants need to complete Form R1: Water Availability and all other forms applicable to your request. Please contact the District if you have any questions.

Click here to download the New Service Manual with fillable forms in Word
Click here to download the New Service Manual in PDF format

Some customers occasionally receive mailings for insurance. PLEASE NOTE:

  • Customers are normally responsible for water line breaks and repairs on their side of meter.
  • Companies offering insurance for private water line repairs are not affiliated with the District.
  • Before purchasing, check to see if water lines are covered under your existing homeowners policy.

Reduce Exposure to Lead in Drinking Water and Household Plumbing
There is no lead in our water supply, either Bull Run or our wells, but lead can get into drinking water in our District by means of home plumbing.  Houses plumbed between 1970 and 1985 with copper pipe that may have lead in the solder, and houses with brass plumbing fixtures that contain lead, are most likely to encounter elevated lead levels.  There are no lead service connections in the District.  For more information on reducing exposure to lead in drinking water and household plumbing, please download our 2013 Lead Brochure at the links below.
Lead Brochure in English
Lead Brochure in Spanish

Contact the District
Rockwood Water People’s Utility District
19601 NE Halsey Street
Portland, Oregon 97230
Phone: (503) 665-4179
Fax: (503) 667-5108